Presently there is a great improvement in the Parents and Grandparents Program application in-take process for the existing and the next year.
IRCC has decided to replace the random invitation process in the Parents and Grandparents Program. Moreover it will accept 20,000 applications in 2019 in this category.
Canadian Immigration Minister, Ahmed Hussen, said that the decision of increasing the number of applications is the result of a great demand in Parents and Grandparents applications. Furthermore, there is a big reduction in the backlog of applications from the figures of 2011 by 84 percent.
In 2017, IRCC changed the Application Intake Process. All the potential sponsors had to complete an Interest to Sponsor form in scheduled openings. IRCC subsequently made a random selection of the eligible sponsors to apply for this program.
From 2019, as per the statement of IRCC, potential sponsors will have to complete an Interest to Sponsor form at the commencement of the year. The invitations will be dispatched on time basis until the allocated cap of the program of 20,000 applications is complete.
The second round of invitations to apply in this program, started on July 31, 2018. The sponsors were invited to apply in the invitation round until the deadline of October 5, 2018, for submitting the complete invitation.
There is a multi-year immigration levels plan of the Government of Canada. The admission target for the PGP for 2020 is 21,000.
Eligibility norms for sponsoring a parent/grandparent to Canada:
The potential sponsor must:
• be a PR /Canadian citizen;
• complete 18 years of age;
• have the capacity to support the person and dependants financially,
• Meet the income level criteria mentioned in the program by submission of Assessment Notices issued by the Canadian Revenue Agency supporting sponsorship.
• Moreover, they must meet the minimum income level for three years. If they are married or have a common-law partner, the income of both persons is eligible for inclusion; and
• Signing a sponsorship agreement committing the sponsor to provide all financial support to the sponsored person for 20 years.
Potential sponsors residing in Quebec should also meet immigration sponsorship requirements after gaining the approval of IRCC as a sponsor.